September 15, 2011

Just Call Me June...

June Cleaver that is. Really, the only thing different is the fact that I don't have really cute dresses to wear around the house all day while doing my various tasks! I wish I did, too. Those 1950-esque dresses are my favorite!

Anyway! I've been busy lately. Every day this week has had something big so far. Sunday was Stake Conference (don't know about my beliefs but would like to know more? Click here!) and we got a new Stake Presidency. We got there a little late, so we had to sit in the Primary room and my goodness, it was noisy. We could hardly hear a thing! But we're excited about the new presidency. They sound like wonderful men. We'll miss President Lathen, but at least he's in our ward, so we still get to see him every week!

After Stake conference, I made a huge batch of Chocolate Chip cookies because I knew I was going Visiting Teaching the next day and wanted to take all my sisters a treat. Unfortunately, we don't have air conditioning in our apartment and having the oven on that long was not fun, but I got them all baked. We now have way too many chocolate chip cookies on our hands. Anyone want some? Come on over! :)

Monday I went Visiting Teaching, which ended up being a half-the-day affair, but I really enjoyed it. One of our sisters that we teach had a ton of extra quart jars that she was getting rid of, so she gave me and Jennifer (my VT partner) all the jars. We were so excited because we wanted to start canning but I didn't have any jars and Jennifer had run out. Thank you Eva for all the jars, you are a saint!

Tuesday was the blessed canning day. I just did peaches but I am planning on doing pears sometime in the next couple of days. I got 18 quarts and none of the jars cracked! Whew! I would say it was a successful first attempt at canning. Dallin and I tried one of the jars last night and they turned out delicious. I think I am going to go buy more peaches because I have a feeling we're gonna go through them quick. As I started canning, I called my mom to make sure I was doing everything right and after hanging up with her, I noticed Claire was really quiet, so I looked over at her high chair where she was sitting and discovered she had fallen asleep! This was a first. I got a good laugh out of it :) Of course, I ran and got my phone and camera and snapped a few pictures. Poor little girl, I had no idea she was that tired!

My sleepy babe



All the peaches!

Yesterday I realized we were running low on bread, so I knew it was time to make more. For the past couple of years I haven't really bought bread. I got this amazing recipe via my awesome cousin Emily and I haven't looked back since! It's a little time consuming, but so worth it. Once that was done, I moved on to a project I have been meaning to tackle for quite a while- the lamp in Claire's room. It was a lamp that Dallin and I got when we were first married and we weren't using it out in the living room, so I gave it a little makeover! Remember it from this post? Well, here is the finished product!



I was inspired by this amazing lady and her cute party hats. I took mine in a bit of a different direction, but she was the inspiration! I love how the lamp turned out and Claire just kept staring at it before I put her down for bed last night, so she must love it too. :)

Oh, you remember the frames that I wasn't quite sure where to hang in Claire's room as well? They now have a home.



So, that's been my week so far! Chocolate chip cookies, visiting teaching, canning peaches, baking bread and making a new lamp for Claire. (You can throw laundry, cooking and cleaning in there too, if ya want) ;-) I just love productive weeks.

1 comment:

Em and Ms said...

You little homemaker, you :) It's funny how all those tasks you dreaded helping with growing up now are things you find yourself doing, and actually enjoying! There's just something about canning and making bread that makes you feel accomplished. That bread recipe is getting around--I'm teaching a lady I visit teach to make it on Monday!