July 29, 2010

Day 5: Strength Beyond My Own

Rexburg Idaho Temple {source}

Growing up, my mom would almost always have the seminary video soundtracks playing in the van as she ran us kids around or did her errands. Being the youngest in the family, I was usually with her, and I grew to love those different Cd's. If you know me at all, you know I love music. And even more than that, I love to sing along to the music. I can recall numerous times when my mother would say, "how on earth can you memorize a song so fast but you can't memorize your (insert school subject here) notes for your test??" It still baffles me too, Mom. :) I quickly developed favorite songs from these various seminary Cd's, and the one that comes to mind today is from the Doctrine and Covenants CD, "Strength Beyond My Own". The song is about my favorite gospel topic- Temples.

As I hit college, I was convinced that I was going to go to the temple at a young age. Not because I was going to get married young, but because I felt like I needed to go through the temple at a young age. I clearly remember the summer of 2007, I was still 19 and had this great desire to receive my endowment. I talked to my bishop about it and he told me he felt it wasn't the right time for me. I was so sad. I wanted so badly to go through the temple and start receiving those promised blessings, but it just wasn't working out for me! Thank goodness I had such a wonderful and inspired bishop who knew, far better than I, that I wasn't ready. And because of that, my first experience within those hallowed walls was one I will never forget. I hold my first time through the temple so dear to my heart. And I was ready.

As I was reflecting on the words to the song, I thought of the line, "in the refuge of the Temple, I find strength beyond my own." That got me to thinking of all the times I have been to the Temple and the things I was learning while there. And what stuck out to me most were the blessings that I have called upon so many times in my life and how quickly I have felt that strength beyond my own helping me through a particularly difficult day. We are so blessed to have temples in our midst that we can go to and worship in. The blessings we receive are invaluable! I am so grateful for wonderful parents who taught, by example, the importance of the temple and have instilled in me a great love for that sacred edifice. We really do find strength beyond our own when we attend the temple.

No comments: