March 30, 2009

Movie Review: Australia

Dallin and I just finished watching the movie Australia. It kinda stunk. I was so disappointed too! I figured with Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman it would be a great movie, and all the previews laid it out as such. But alas, it was not. So here are my beefs with it.

1. Nicole Kidman bugged me. She was whiny and needy and kinda over dramatic throughout the whole movie. Not her best film.

2. The story was so scattered. It was a 2 1/2 hour long film, but it probably could have used about 5 hours to piece the whole thing together. It just felt choppy. It didn't flow. It was as if all of the sudden some piece of the story would get thrown in out of no where, but you had to piece it together.

3. It could have been a sweet story! It seriously had the potential to be an amazing movie. And it was a very interesting plot but, like I mentioned above, it was just incoherent.

4. The filming was weird. I didn't like it at all. It felt disjointed. Kinda like the storyline!

So looking at this list now, it doesn't seem like there was much I disliked, but really, this movie is probably not worth your time. One thing I will mention though- the little Aborigine boy was an amazing actor. He was great the whole time. At the beginning of the movie I couldn't really understand him, but that was because I just needed to get used to his accent. Other than that, he did a great job. So, unless you RedBox the movie (which is what we did) it's not worth your money, and definitely not worth 2 1/2 hours of your life. This movie definitely put Australia way down under!

1 comment:

Em and Ms said...

We actually saw this in the theater over Thanksgiving and loved it! Maybe it was the big screen, maybe just because it was Australia (who doesn't love Australia), but we really enjoyed it. I agree--the little boy was amazing! To me it was just scenes of a life telling a story, so they didn't have to fill in all the spaces.